The Governing Board recognizes the important connection between a healthy diet and a student’s ability to learn effectively. The Board also acknowledges that schools play a vital role in childhood nutrition and fitness, and as part of the larger community, schools have a responsibility to promote family health and provide a strong foundation for the future health and well-being of its students. It further recognizes that significant research indicates a positive relationship between adequate nutrition and learning, resulting in academic success.
Bonny Doon Elementary School recognizes that a healthy school community is accomplished through a multi-faceted approach towards the students’ education. To accomplish this goal we utilize the following programs for all students: Regular Physical Education. Life Lab, Waste Free School, Conflict Resolution, TRIBES and Life Skills.
We encourage families to follow the nutrition recommendations of the United States Dietary Guidelines :
1. No more than 30% of total calories from fat (averaged over a week)
2. No more that 10% of total calories from saturated fat (average over a week)
3. Fruit and vegetable drinks containing 50%or more full-strength fruit with no added sweetener
4. Not more than 35% of the total weight of the food item, excluding fruits or vegetables, is composed of sugar
5. Milk that is nonfat, 1%, or 2% fat or soy, rice or similar non-dairy milk
Class celebrations are traditions in public schools, however families should consult with the classroom teacher before bringing food to the classroom. We ask that, when bringing food items for class celebrations, families take into consideration students who may have allergies or special dietary needs.