“The secret of education lies in respecting the pupil.”
– Ralph Waldo Emerson
Parent Involvement at School
Parents are a child’s first teachers and the most influential people in a child’s life. Be Informed: Your child spends about 1,200 hours at school each year. Learn what is happening at school. Don’t rely on second-hand information! We know a lot of talk happens between parents in the parking lot before and after school, and this can be a great time to socialize with other parents. Please remember, however, that information passed on between several people may not always be correct. We highly encourage you visit or volunteer and find out for yourself what takes place at Bonny Doon School!
Some great ways to keep informed:
- Know the staff members at school, including teachers, office staff, principal and specialists.
- Attend Back-to-School Night and Open House.
- Volunteer at school.
- Attend all conferences with your child’s teacher.
- Request from your child, and carefully read, notes and notices sent home from the school.
- Read the classroom and school newsletters, save the calendar of events and other important information.
- Review the marquee (upper campus) and the display window (lower campus) often.
- Check the web site regularly.
- Contact the teacher or the superintendent if you have questions or concerns.